Monday, August 06, 2007

Be Nice To The Collection Agency Person

I just got done dealing with a lady from a collection agency. I was mad as hell that this company (1&1 Internet) had sent a single bill to collections, but as I was just about to go off on the lady it dawned on me that my argument wasn't with her. She is just an employee of a collection agency and really has nothing to do with your problems with the company that put you in for collection. She is just trying to make it through an 8 hour day. Most people however lose their cool and put the blame on that poor soul working at the agency. You know they take a huge pile of crap in place of the company that you owe the money to.

I worked for the Post Office for 22 years. I had been hurt on the job (dog attack) and was on limited duty. The job they made for me was to field all of the inquiries and complaints from customers. It was usually some jerk who ordered the penis enlarger from late night TV who wasn't happy with the productwho somehow figured it became the blame of the postal service since we after all were the people who delivered the item. Whatever the product was, since we delivered it it automatically was our responsibility to take it back and make sure the company got it back. Why should the angry customer wth the small penis have to pay to return it? It didn't work, it wasn't what he expected, it was too small, it was the wrong color, or what ever. The bottom line - it wasn't my fault that you weren't happy, but you decided that I was mean or uncooperative because I didn't take your enlarger back to send it to the seller for you.

Well, just as I was about to go off on the lady from the agency, I thought about the man with the small weiner. Just like it wasn't my fault that he didn't like his enlarger, it wasn't Tina's fault that 1 & 1 Internet hadn't billed me properly. I took a deep breath and said I was sorry that I was about to blame her and that I knew none of this was her fault and that she must hate it when people tee off on her. She sounded pretty happy and relieved. She responded that she hated to be the person stuck in the middle and that it is a terrible job when that happen. I would guess it's like being a punching bag. The customer, who is mad at the company, forgets the agency worker is just a person stuck with a horrible job, and goes off like a mad dog.

What ever it takes, just contact the company you are having problems with directly. They send bills for collections because they are cowards who don't want to do any "customer service" because they might get yelled at or called an a--hole. When you deal with the collection agency remember that they are just people stuck with a really crappy job that almost always ends up with them having to take a lot of grief from you because you're angry. I sure hope they get paid well because it is a lot of stress to have people blowing up and calling you names and threatening your job because their uncle is a lawyer or they know a senator. Sure you'll feel better after you unload your anger on this person, but then think about how they feel at the end of the day with all of that bad energy shouted into their ear. What a stressful job! I wonder why we never hear about a collection agency employee shooting up the office. They must have a very strong constitution to put up with all the crap they take every day.

My hat is off to you collection agency employee. I'm sorry for any other times I've used a middle man for a punching bag. And as for the guy with the little weiner that went off on me, I hope you finally found your cure. If not, I'm retired now so at least I won't have to take any more of your crap. Thank your mailman for delivering what ever it is you ordered and remember that when you are off of work because of that deep snow or howling wind, your mailman is still out there delivering. And that lady on the phone at the collection agency - she's just trying to make it through each 8 hour day without having to endure the wrath of every person who "forgot to sign the check", "called and told them the correct account number", or "was sure I made that payment".

No comments: